Monday, February 4, 2013

Day 35


 


Today I am grateful for having a crock pot. We are trying to cook more and eat out less. This was driven by the need to get healthy and the even more urgent need to cut down on some of our monthly expenses.

I have been cooking at least one to two meals a week in the crock pot. Not only do they require minimal prep but you come home to a yummy smelling house and dinner ready and waiting.

This isn't my crock pot but it is very similiar. I chose not to photograph mine since it is well loved and has some years on it.

You can find this crock pot on Amazon.

Today I needed to use up some of the leftover ingredients from the last weeks. So, I browned up a little over a pound of ground turkey that was extra from our taco night, added some basil and oregano while it cooked. Once that was browned, I poured a jar of pasta sauce in (couldn't find spaghetti squash this week, so we didn't have spaghetti night) and then the remaining ricotta cheese left from our Million Dollar Spaghetti (find it on Pinterest). I added a cup or so of water and mixed it all up.

I then poured this all into the crock pot. Added two cups of uncooked bowtie noodles. You could probably use any kind of noodle but this was what I had in the cupboard. Then put the lid on and eat when you get home. The noodles were soft and flavorful and the sauce had thickened alot. Very filling! And even the kids were happy with dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment