Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Day 30

 
I'm grateful for a warm, dry house filled with the smells of fresh food and the sounds of family.
 
This was my first experience with Butternut squash soup. I modified a Martha Stewart recipe. Here's the recipe I used:
 
1 butternut squash cut in cubes
1 onion
2 cloves of garlic
2 inches of peeled and chopped ginger
2 tablespoons of butter
3 cups of chicken broth
1 teaspoon of cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon coriander
 
I cut the butternut squash in half and placed it flesh side down, after removing seeds, in a baking dish with a small amount of water (1/2 cup or so). I then baked the squash at 350 degrees for almost an hour.
 
I then sliced the squash into strips and cut the skins off before cubing. I found cutting the skins off to be easier than peeling them. I chopped the onion, garlic and ginger next.
 
Put 2 tablespoons of butter in the bottom of the pot and once melted add the chopped onion cooking for about 2 minutes until softened. Add squash, garlic and ginger to the pot and cook all ingredients together until the squash is softened. This should take 6-9 minutes.
 
Add 3 cups of chicken broth to the pot, the cayenne pepper and coriander. Bring to a boil and then reduce and simmer for 20 minutes. When  you're done, run the soup through the blender until pureed. I found I had to do this in two batches.
 
The results are a flavorful soup with a kick.
 
Ken thougth it was a little too spicy but he has a very low tolerance for spicy foods.
 
I'm glad this was a successful experiment with new soups. I wish I had remembered to take my final picture of the completed, pureed soup!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment